Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Sign that Started it All


I took this picture two years ago when I went to see my husband work in Durham. This sign is at the concession stand in the stadium where the Durham Bulls play. I'm not sure what the dogs own. Is it the dogs' drinks and popcorn? What kind of dog sells drinks and popcorn? If it is the dogs' drinks and popcorn, why the comma after dogs? Or, if the apostrophe was indeed appropriate, why isn't there an apostrophe after drinks or popcorn?

After seeing this sign, I began to wonder who approved the sign. I guess I could see it slipping by one person, but then wasn't there a proof? Then I thought about all of the people who work for the Durham Bulls who go to the stadium every day. Don't they notice the sign? Why hasn't anyone said anything? I can't believe nobody working there has taken a stand and insisted that the sign be fixed. Is nobody embarrassed? I have not gone back recently, so I am not sure if it has been changed. If anyone lives in Durham and can verify whether this sign still exists, please let us know.

This sign was the one that started my obsession with signs that have inappropriate apostrophe placement.

No comments:

Post a Comment